A little unexpected detail

A week or so after my husband’s funeral, after all the family had gone home and my two girls were back in school, I was trying to get to some sort of new normal. I had some time alone, which was starting to feel welcome, and I had time to think quietly about all that had happened the previous few weeks – to process it as I was coming out of the shock and awe of Steve’s sudden death. Taking life “one minute at a time” – which is still my biggest piece of advice for those suffering through a loss or other trauma. Sometimes one day at a time is too much to handle really.  In this time of  silence and pensiveness, the realization came that something was not quite right. Well, obviously, nothing was quite right at the time. But this was something in particular – my period was late. And it never was late. I bravely took a pregnancy test and five to eight minutes later, just one line appeared – it was negative. I breathed a huge sigh of…not relief exactly. I think I was sad as well as relieved. Steve and I had just decided to try for another baby two months earlier after being certain we were done for several years. My girls were 4 and 6 at the time and had been asking for a baby brother or sister. That’s not really why we decided to try but it helped to push us along. Steve and I had just gone through a monumental experience together in August, a series of events that brought us closer than ever before. An experience that was scary as hell and downright transformative. Our marriage was stronger for it and we felt like having another baby at this point in our lives just made sense and felt really right. So when I saw the negative test result, I was relieved to not be expecting and have to raise not 2 but 3 children on my own. But I was also a little melancholy and upset – the opportunity to have a baby and a little more of Steve died with him.

Fast forward to 3 days later. I was taking a shower – yes, it had been at least 3 days since I showered (early widowing is not known for showering and self-care). The pregnancy test that I had taken a few days earlier was still on the window sill in my bathroom. I glanced at it, then rinsed the shampoo out of my eyes and picked it up and looked at it again – very closely. There were two lines in the little rectangular window now. Two. One line means not pregnant, two means holy shit. I got out of the shower, took my youngest to preschool and raced to the drugstore where I bought not just one but 3 pregnancy tests. I went home and took them all. All three said positive, said pregnant, said holy shit. I was so barely pregnant when I took that first test that it took a while for it to register the truth. I would say it took a while for me to register the truth as well. I sat down for a long few minutes and simply stared at those damn tests. I couldn’t even understand what I was seeing. Could. Not. I immediately called my close friend Amy. This is the same woman that I had woken from a deep sleep a few weeks earlier with a 7am phone call and the words, “Steve died last night” and she said, “Oh shit. I’ll be right there”.  This time, she answered the phone and I said, “What are you doing?” And she started to say, “Not much – I am working on…” and I rudely cut her off so fast. I said, “Can you come over right now?” I think she was in my driveway in 45 seconds – and she lived a good 5 minutes away. She pulled in on two wheels, came into the house, saw me sitting on the floor and said “What’s Up?” in a nervous, cautious kind of way (my calls would go on to make her nervous to answer the phone for years). I was sitting on the couch and pointed her to the kitchen, where my test was lying on the counter in all its glory. I asked her to tell me what she saw. She came out of the kitchen, a little pale and stunned, and affirmed what I already knew but couldn’t wrap my head around. I was pregnant. With my 3rd child. And my husband was dead. I’m sorry, but – WHAT? We sat on the floor and stared at the test together for a very long time – crying, despairing, laughing. I had these two huge conflicting tectonic plates of information in my brain – my husband was gone, I was grieving, my children and family and friends were grieving. And – I was going to have a baby. Alone. Without a husband, without a dad. It was inconceivable and yet it was true, it was here and it was my new “normal”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By submitting this form, you are granting: Unintentional Survivor, 2020 184th Ave NE, Redmond, WA, 98052, permission to email you. You may unsubscribe via the link found at the bottom of every email. (See our Email Privacy Policy (http://constantcontact.com/legal/privacy-statement) for details.) Emails are serviced by Constant Contact.